We arrived here a bit randomly in the evening after an exhausting day and without a booking. The good review we found on internet (while on the spot) led us to pay the high price in the hope for a good night sleep (no discount possible despite the fact that the place was empty). Bad choice!
- great infrastructure with brand new facilities. Everything in the room was functional.
- great wooden design. The bathroom looked amazing.
- very clean
- wifi in the room
- 10 min for price quotation. Very little english spoken. The owner wouldnt dare come talk to us even though we requested to see him.
- no sheets and blanket on the bed in ANY of their rooms. Didnt strike the staff as a major issue (!). After we insisted on making the bed, it took 15 min for a worker to find the size that would fit our bed. The sheets were new and clean but we were given old towels that didnt match the standing of the room. During the whole process, the owner didnt move from his chair and looked at us with an amusing eye.
- felt asleep to the noise of the owner and his family chitchating in circle right in front of our room, woke up to the noise of hammer and other tools by workers completing the terasse pavement.
- Breakfast consisted of one cold fried egg and cheap toasts, both already ready on the table when we woke up. Not very appealing. Besides, we had ordered omelet in the evening and specifically asked not to prepare our breakfast before we woke up.
- under current management, this place is not worth half the price they charge. The owner clearly looks for maximum profit with minimum service. That's very sad because by adding some efforts to the infrastructure they have, this place could easily become one of the best lodging in town. That's unlikely to happen though, as the owner seems to live here with his family.
This place is a true gem! Situated near the Prawirotaman street, its set in a quiet neighbourhood yet near enough to the royal Kraton. The place was designed so tastefully by the owner Mas Juan (MJ) balancing his love for nature and the deep Javanese traditions that only speaks the pride he has for the city.
We booked a room for two nights and this lodging has only 6 rooms and each room is unique - the bathrooms are very outdoor-ish with rocks and plants. Mas MJ wouldnt cut the trees, rather he made accomodations for them to continue growing in the property. Honestly, i think it was a very good decision to keep the plants that way. Outside each room there are chairs that you could sit outside and enjoy the fishes that are right outside your doorstep. They have a common dining table that you could make your own drinks and have a chat with the family. Its indeed very homely.
The staff are pleasant and attentive. They dont disturb you unnecessarily but would attend to your needs - just ask them. I was exhausted after my climb up Merapi and wanted to look for a massage. The staff was able to get a local "ibu" to come over to give a massage inhouse! Pure Java bliss. Mas MJ also has its own cafe and he lets his young staff handle the menu and drinks and the hot chocolate is a must try!!! So fluffy and delicious!
There are no phones in the rooms - but its okay...take a walk to the reception or ask the staff for watever you need. AC was okay but it could get a lil stuffy in the afternoons. Just open the doors and windows and its bearable. Furnishings are woody and natural and according to the owner it was in accordance to the design of a typical javanese house. Rooms are big too. Pictures are what it is (no one is lying abt how great the rooms are!!) and even my pictures would not do it justice. Mas MJ kept a room a secret but im sure some travelers would already knew abt it. We stayed at a # (insert room number) and it was lovely! You have to get here and look/ ask for it. ;) each room is also named after characters from the Wayang- look out for them on the roofs!
This is a unique homestay! If you are looking for a true Javanese experience, give this place a try. Its a fine balance with nature, traditions and once you enter this place, all the hustle bustle of city life is left at the door. You are bound to relax and be at peace.
Tip: bring your own travel adaptor with the round heads. If you cant get one, there is an electronic shop nearby. With all nature surrounding you, you might be worried abt mosquitoes. Well, i was fine because they provided a repellent and its not like you're surrounded by jungle! Just gardens really. :)
I love this place and would come back if i visit yogyakarta again! Thanks MJ and family for a wonderful stay!!!
We stayed at Ndalem MJ Homestay for two nights. It is a charming little homestay with only 7 rooms and is situated down a quiet street with hardly any traffic. It is only a short walk to Prawirotaman area where there are many restaurants and cafés to eat at.
The rooms are delightful, big and cool even during the day however I was a little disappointed that our room wasn't cleaned when we went out on the first day. When we asked the staff why they seemed unsure how to answer and said they needed to ask the boss. The homestay is still very new (opened in August last year) and has the potential to become hugely popular. It just needs some rough edges polished off in order to ensure it gets guests needs seen to properly.
Breakfast choices could also be improved as we were offered fried rice or bread. However, the positive in this was also that they asked us the night before what we would like and at what time we wanted to eat.
The design of the homestay is wonderful and a pond with fish in around the rooms means that you constantly hear the sound of water.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and the convenience to the action at prawirotaman and would definitely recommend it.