Stayed at Villa Sotavento Jan 29- Feb 6.The villa was at the end of 13th street there were three rooms on the main floor and two on the second floor. There was a full kitchen , and living room area with couches and dinette set and tv. The beach bar was right beside my Villa ,the Awesome 5star beach was 50ft from me. The room was simple 2 brand new beds , TV, air conditioner that worked well. There are no telephones or fridges in the room , but the same goes for the main hotel Acuazul. The buffet is smaller but is the same at any resort in Cuba. The front desk staff were great and the maid did an excellent job (leave a tip and you get the excellent service.) The Villas are being painted and repaired but in Cuba things move on 'Cuban Time" This is my 5th visit to Varadero and my 7th visit to Cuba. For the price this resort was fine. Cuba is Cuba any one who has been down more than once knows what to expect. The people are awesome and the beach is a 5 star.
This is the worst vacation I've had in Cuba. The flight was delayed by four hours. Instead of arriving around 7 pm, we arrived at the hotel past midnight. There was no food available, just drinks at the 24 hour lobby bar. The front-desk clerk was pleasant and helped me promptly and gave me room 5 in house number 428 Camino del Mar.
The house is freshly painted. Room 5 is up two flights of stairs.
The meals are taken at the main Hotel Acuazul about a 5 minute walk from the house. Any business concerning accomodations are taken care of at Hotel Acuazul front-desk
Here is a description:
1. The door was jammed tight on the door frame so I had to bump it hard to open it.
2. There was no night-table lamp and a light was out in the room.
3. The safe had no lock. Useless!
4. There was no telephone in the room.
5. The television cable was disconnected, and even after I connected it myself (because after reporting it broken no one came to fix it), the reception was poor, the image had a lot of interference, ie; snow, and poor audio.
6. The toilet had no toilet seat and didn't flush. I had to flush by using a small garbage can as a bucket and dumping buckets full of water in the toilet bowl.
7. There was no shower curtain. After showering the bathroom floor was all wet.
8. For towels, I had four hand towels that were not replaced for the whole stay.
9. In the dinning room the tablecloths were filthy.
10. Out of four times I attempted to exchange money I was successful once.
11. Rum based drinks were served with inferior brands rums.
1. The air conditioner worked well.
2. The room was freshly painted.
3. The pillow cases and sheets were fairly new and clean.
4.The mattress was comfortable.
5. The tap water was drinkable
6. The staff was friendly.
7. The food was ok. Different kinds of meats, fish, beef, chicken. Limited choice of salads, cheeses, fruits, fruit juices. Coffee at the dining room was from a vending machine.
8. There was nightly entertainment. A pool table and a ping-pong table.
9. There weren't many mosquitoes.
10. Lots of police presence day and night, It is very safe!